1. The patient is administered with the allergen in small quantities;
2. The doses are increased gradually until the body gets used to the allergen, and the immune system begins to ignore it, i.e. the cause of the disease is influenced;
3. Optimal period of treatment – 3-5 years.
Immunotherapy restores the balance of the immune system by reducing the production of immunoglobulin E. It accustoms the body to the allergen. In order for the doctor to be able to target the allergen specific immunotherapy, a patient's sensitivity to the founded allergens must be tested to the molecular level (the 2nd and 3rd steps of the Allergomedica program).
1. Allergic rhinitis with or without conjunctivitis, including other diseases: seasonal allergic rhinitis/conjunctivitis; persistent allergic rhinitis/conjunctivitis; seasonal + persistent allergic rhinitis/conjunctivitis;
2. Allergic asthma: seasonal allergic asthma; persistent allergic asthma;
3. Allergic rhinitis + allergic asthma.
Allergen specific immunotherapy – this is the only treatment so far that can modify the natural course of the respiratory allergy, as well as its causes. The main objective of this therapy - to reduce the person's sensitivity to the allergen (-s), while replacing the immune response and ensuring the tolerance for the allergen (-s).
The clinical tests and studies that have been carried out over the years have proved that patients to whom this therapy is practiced, can achieve the desired results: to improve the quality of life, to reduce the long-term costs regarding the reduced or disappeared necessity to use the medication lowering the allergy symptoms, as well as to change the course of allergic disease.
Allergen specific immunotherapy not only reduces the symptoms (during the treatment) but also has the long term effects after the termination of the treatment. Moreover, it prevents the progression of allergic diseases for example the transition of the allergic rhinitis to bronchial asthma. In order for the doctor to be able to target the allergen specific immunotherapy, a patient's sensitivity to the founded allergens must be tested to the molecular level (the 2nd and 3rd steps of the Allergomedica program).
The comprehensive allergy diagnostics program costs 109.00 €.
For the Allergomedica program the blood is taken one time, i.e. at the same time 2 x 5ml test-tubes are taken. The blood is obtained from a vein.
Allergists and clinical immunologists recommend to perform the Allergomedica program for the patients not younger than 2-3 years of age, inasmuch as digestive and immune systems of younger children are not yet fully formed, in order for the study to give significant results.
No special preparation for the tests of Allergomedica program is necessary - You can eat and use medications (including the medications alleviating the allergy symptoms) as usual.
Almost any substance can cause allergy symptoms; however, only a very small part of the substances are the so-called TRUE allergens. According to the World Allergy Organization (WAO), there are only 12 true actually allergens in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia:
1. 7 respirable: birch, timothy, wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), mold, dog, cat, house dust mites.
2. 5 food: milk, egg, fish, soya, nuts.
All other substances commonly are causing allergy symptoms due to the so-called cross-reactions. Cross-reaction means that the actual allergen, which should be of concern, and other substances have certain similarities.
More precisely, molecules constituting them are structurally similar. For this reason, after testing the allergy for 60 allergens, among which there are such as: birch, apple, carrot, potato, tomato, hazelnuts, peanuts, and all of the stone fruit, you can receive the results stating that you are allergic to all of these allergens; therefore, you will start to avoid them, although the real reason may only be allergy to birch.
Molecular studies often show that none of these products should be removed from the food ration, or only some of them should be avoided. This information is important not only for you but for the doctor as well, who may target the specific allergen immunotherapy - the only treatment that can modify the natural course of respiratory allergies and their causes.
During the Allergomedica test, the TRUE allergens are determined; moreover, it is being clarified whether you are allergic to molecules, which are similar to each other and the real cause of your ailment is for example sensitization to birch, or perhaps you have a true allergy only to a certain product.
We endeavor to ensure that You would receive only important and relevant information regarding your health and that the received answers would not only help You to control the disease, but would not cause unnecessary fear as well. Therefore, during the Allergomedica program we test the allergens that have been selected as the most important by Allergists and clinical immunologists of Lithuania (36 allergens which are the most important and commonly found in Lithuania, as well as 2 additional allergens, depending from the symptoms indicated by the patient).
During the Allergomedica program, we test the patient’s serum for 36 allergens which are commonly found in Lithuania. If the patient has been stung by the bee or wasp and the location of the sting was swollen, we additionally test for the bee and wasp allergens.
– Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), rape, nettle, birch, mold fungi (Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Penicillium), cockroaches, timothy, chicken feathers, dog, horse, cat, 2 types of house dust mites.
– Chicken, casein, barley, rye, apple, yeast, wheat, orange, cod, beef, pork, tomato, shrimp, milk, hazelnuts, soya beans, peanuts, peas, egg.
– Latex, bee, wasp.
During the ordinary allergy blood tests, your blood serum is tested for the selected number of allergens (20, 36, 60, etc.). Such test results are only one of the steps required for comprehensive allergy testing. This step is only the first step of Allergomedica program, inasmuch as it does not answer the basic questions you may have:
1. What actually I am allergic to?
Allergens are compiled of components (the allergen molecules), which may be similar to each other by their structure; therefore, they cross-react. This means that if after the first step, for example, the allergies for birch and apple have been determined, the sensitization to apple may be related to sensitization to birch pollen; therefore, in order to figure out which allergen is the true allergen, it is necessary to perform molecular tests (the 2nd and 3rd steps of Allergomedica program).
2. Is the found sensitization dangerous for my life?
Some of the allergens are able to provoke anaphylactic shock, which, without adequate medical aid, can lead to death. Only after the performance of the molecular test, as well as the quantitative measurement of antibodies in your blood (the 2nd and 3rd steps of Allergomedica program), it is possible to find out whether the sensitization to the found allergens is dangerous for you and how exactly serious this danger is.
3. What are the possibilities and predictions for the allergy treatment?
Even if the test results received from the ordinary allergy test are commented by a doctor allergologist-clinical immunologist, 1st and 2nd questions are still not fully clear. The latest statistics show that 45% of all of the immunotherapy treatments are ineffective, inasmuch as the treatment is targeted without the performance of molecular tests. The sensitization which is found during Allergomedica program is tested to the molecular (the most profound) level and, as well as the patient’s questionnaire, is evaluated by doctor allergologist-clinical immunologist. Therefore, after giving the blood sample for only one time, you will receive not only the comprehensive results from laboratory but also the insights and recommendations of a professional.
The 1st step of allergy diagnostics
The sample of the patient is prepared for the test in the laboratory. After the preparation, the 1st step of the test is performed during which, the blood of the patient is tested regarding the sensitization to the allergens, which are commonly found in Lithuania. This step of the diagnostics is the most common in all of the diagnostic laboratories in Lithuania.
The results of the first step provides the information regarding the types of allergens that the patient is sensitized to; however, it does not answer the main question: "What do I do next?". In order to answer this question, in the program of Allergomedica test a unique scheme of the second and third steps is used.
The 2nd step of allergy diagnostics
During the 2nd step, the staff of the laboratory performs the further examination regarding the patient's allergy for the allergens to which the sensitization has been determined during the 1st step and performs the quantitative evaluation of the specific IgE concentration in the blood of the patient. This step of the test allows to submit a preliminary recommendations, as well as to answer another important question “should I be seriously concerned about my allergies?".
The 3rd step of allergy diagnostics
In order to formulate the precise and comprehensive recommendations, the 3rd step of the test is carried out. During this step, the patient's allergies are analyzed to the molecular level, according to the latest model of the allergy diagnostic. The 3rd step reveals the components of the allergen to which the patient is allergic.
The 4th step of allergy diagnostics
The comprehensive laboratory results, as well as the patient’s questionnaire which is filled in before giving the blood sample, are analyzed by allergist-clinical immunologist
The 5th step of allergy diagnostics
The allergist-clinical immunologist provides the primary insights, as well as the recommendations, for the control and treatment of allergy. The comprehensive inquiry regarding the disease of the patient enables:
1. To determine the real cause of the allergy;
2. To show which symptoms are caused by the cross-reactions;
3. To evaluate the possibilities and predictions regarding the immunotherapy treatment;
4. To identify which allergens can result in life-threatening conditions in the future.
Allergomedica is using the top-class solution in the allergy diagnostics which is recognized all over the world and which combines both quantitative and qualitative method for the assessment of allergy determination, permitting a detailed and comprehensive analysis of the patient.
1. Testing for 36 allergens which are commonly found in Lithuania (wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), rape, nettle, birch, mold fungi (Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Penicillium), latex, cockroaches, timothy, chicken, casein, barley, rye, apple, yeast, wheat, orange, cod, beef, pork, tomato, shrimp, milk, hazelnuts, soya beans, peanuts, peas, egg, chicken feathers, dog, horse, cat, 2 types of house dust mites. If the patient has been stung by the bee or wasp and the location of the sting was seriously swollen, we offer the additional testing for the bee and wasp allergens.
2. The first step testing of the positive allergens using the most precise method which is recognized as the gold standard, in order to confirm the allergy and to perform the quantitative measurement of the sensitization of the organism.
3. The testing of the patient's sensitivity to the found allergens at the molecular level, using the method which is recognized as the gold standard. While using this method your doctor can provide the appropriate plan for the control and treatment of allergy.
4. The evaluation of the patient’s questionnaire, as well as of the received test results, performed by allergist-clinical immunologist.
5. The provision of the primary comments, as well as the recommendations from the allergist-clinical Immunologist
The test is recommended when:
1. Frequent common cold diseases are appearing;
2. Persistent or seasonal rhinitis;
3. Nasal congestion;
5. Eye itching, redness, tearing;
6. Paroxysmal cough, paroxysmal dyspnea;
8. The itching and swelling of the oral mucosa when eating certain kinds of food;
9. Skin rashes;
10. Previous anaphylactic reactions;
11. When the allergy for food, pollen, house dust mites, and animals is suspected.
During the Allergomedica program the I-type allergy (hypersensitivity) is determined. This type of allergy comprises 50% of all allergies. During this type of allergy, the specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies against the allergen are produced. This is the response of the organism to the allergens which is expressed by the increase of the aforementioned specific antibodies in the blood.
The remaining 50% is comprised of the delayed hypersensitivity allergic reactions and non-allergic mechanisms.
If, after the performance of the Allergomedica program, I-type allergy is not determined, it means You do not have I-type allergy for the tested allergens. We recommend you to visit the doctor allergologist-clinical immunologist in order to examine You, to evaluate Your condition, and to prescribe the other relevant tests related to Your condition, as well as the treatment.
Vilius and Antanas (these are not the real names of the patients) have decided to test their allergies through the comprehensive Allergomedica program of allergy diagnostics. After receiving the blood samples of both of the patients, the specialists of “Imunodiagnostika” laboratory have carried out a thorough diagnostics of allergies.
Comparison of the results of both patients revealed that after the performance of the ordinary 1st step of the diagnostics, the results are almost identical – both Vilius and Antanas are allergic to birch, timothy, cat, apple, and nuts (in the case of Vilius, the allergy is for two kinds of nuts, i.e. hazelnut and peanut and in the case of Antanas - hazelnut).
If at this step the diagnostic of allergy would be terminated, both patients would receive the same treatment and preventive measures; however, after the performance of the 2nd and 3rd steps of the Allergomedica diagnostics it have been revealed that the strong sensitization of Antanas to the hazelnut and apple allergen components is related to the sensitization to birch pollen. This means that Antanas does not have the allergy for hazelnut or apple and may experience the itching, tingling, and swelling of the oral mucosa only when eating the aforementioned products without the thermal processing (due to the similarity of these allergen components to the birch pollen to which the patient is allergic). After the treatment of allergy for birch, Antanas would no longer feel the symptoms caused by the hazelnut and apple.
Meanwhile, the test results of Vilius are showing the substantial sensitization to the component of the hazelnut which leads to the especially severe allergic reactions to hazelnuts; therefore, eating of these nuts, as well as the products containing them is strictly forbidden, inasmuch as it can lead to anaphylactic shock, which can result in death. In order to avoid serious consequences, it is recommended for Vilius to always have an adrenaline injection with himself.
Therefore, the testing of the patient’s sensitization to the molecular level is the necessary condition for the comprehensive diagnostics of the illness, as well as for the further evaluation of the course of the illness and precise recommendations.